Born 1 November 1933 in Graz (Austria);
- 1951 -- 1956 study of geodesy, Graz University of Technology (TUG);
- 1959 Dr.techn. (TUG); main research topics: physical geodesy,
gravitational field, inverse problems in geodesy and geophysics;
- since 1955
various positions at TUG, Geodetic Service of Austria,
Ohio State University,
Technical University Hannover, and Wuhan University;
- 1964 -- 1971 Professor of
Physical Geodesy at Technical University Berlin;
- 1971 Professor of Geodesy, TUG;
- 2002 Emeritus.
- Graz, March 2007.
- Honorary Doctorates:
Dr.-Ing.h.c., Technische Universität München, 1981;
D.Sc.h.c., The Ohio State University, 1992;
Dr.h.c., University of Geodesy and Cartography, Moscow, 1994.
- of the
Academy of Sciences
and of 10 foreign Academies.
- International Activities:
- 1979 -- 1983:
President of the International Association of Geodesy;
- 1991 -- 1995:
President of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics;
- 1998 -- 2002:
Director General of the Inter-University Center Dubrovnik;
- 1998 -- 2006:
President of the International League of Humanists.
7 books, among them
(with W. A. Heiskanen)
Physical Geodesy, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, 1967 (translated into
Chinese, Serbian, Spanish and Turkish);
- Advanced Physical Geodesy,
Herbert Wichmann Verlag, Karlsruhe, 1980 (translated into
Chinese and Russion), 2nd ed. 1989;
- (with B. Hofmann-Wellenhof) Geometry, Relativity, Geodesy,
Herbert Wichmann Verlag, Karlsruhe, 1993;
- Science, Mind and the Universe:
An Introduction to Natural Philosophy,
Herbert Wichmann Verlag,
Heidelberg, 1995 (translated into Croatian);
- (with B. Hofmann-Wellenhof)
Physical Geodesy, Springer-Verlag, Wien-New York,
2nd ed., 2005 (translated into Japanese).